Well, I think I’m sort of doing things a bit backwards when it comes to the 1956 Southland Runabout. I made cushions for it that I showed you all here, and recently purchased a fridge and also found a vintage stove that a friend of mine sold to me. I even bought a new thick memory foam mattress for the rear double bed. The reason this is all backwards is because all of these things will be coming back out of the trailer! I guess I just got a bit over-zealous for a minute.
Our plan is to do a partial restore on this trailer. Which includes but is not limited to; removing front and rear skin, repairing any damage and rebuilding it. We also will rebuild the side framing about 1/2 way up the trailer starting at the bottom framing and wheel wells (we’ll go farther up than 1/2 way if need be). In the process our goal is to replace the interior wood with new birch and then stain it all. The wood that is in there now is not original with the exception of the cabinets, closet, base cabinets and table. I imagine a lot of people would see the interior of this trailer and think it’s great. Truly, it isn’t bad but it doesn’t match. What I mean is the previous owners put up the new interior but used some other type of wood and then stained it this really dark brown color. In some places it almost looked slapped on there. I personally don’t like that it’s such a dark mud color and that it doesn’t match the rich sort of reddish color of the cabinets and closet. So I really want to change it and give it a fresh, yet even look.
I’ve been paying attention to a lot of other folks rebuild projects and watching some great video’s produced by Larry over at http://www.cannedhamtrailers.com. Armed with the knowledge I’ve gained I think I’m ready to tackle this. Now, don’t get me wrong…I feel confident but a little terrified at the same time LOL! I’m not afraid of what I’ll find under the skin as far as any rot goes, nor am I afraid of the actual rebuilding process but instead what makes me nervous is the prospect of getting it all put back together correctly once it’s all torn apart! But I’m looking at it like baby steps and convincing myself that if all these other folks can do it with no previous experience…heck, I can too!
So keep an eye out for some future posts about the demolition and rebuilding process on the 1956 Southland Runabout. This little trailer is just so darling and while she could be camped in even right now as she is, I know she’s got some issues that need to be addressed and I want to bring her back to her former glory and make her all shiny new. Polishing will be a whole new post.
So I hope you’ll follow me through the blood, sweat, tears and possibly some choice words now and then (just kidding. I promise this blog will always be family friendly) as we go through the process. I’m sure it will all be worth it in the end. Someday I’m hoping to revisit this post after having restored it and be able to proudly say “We did it! That wasn’t so hard”. (:
Here are some pictures of the new fridge which I have to figure out the best way to vent. It’s a good fit but will need venting. Also the vintage stove top. That will eventually be white as I’d like it to match the white fridge.
Here is the stove. Perfect fit! It works but we have to have new propane lines installed. That will come later.